Couple of weeks ago Onkyo, one of leading home entertainment equipment manufacturers, announced several new gadgets, including two high-end integrated 9.2-channel AV receivers – the Onkyo TX-NR5009 and the TX-NR3009.
I did a quick research online about the Onkyo TX-NR5009 which will replace current Onkyo TX-NR5008 model. Here is what I found.
Onkyo TX-NR5009 Connectivity
The Onkyo TX-NR5009 seems to be very versatile AV receiver if you look at numerous connectivity options. Connect up to 8 HDMI devices to TX-NR5009 HDMI inputs (it even has 2 gold plated inputs), 2 USB devices and get video inputs from your PC thru RGB input.
There are few inputs that are specific to Onkyo receivers. One is the Universal Port for connecting Onkyo peripherals. Second option is free Onkyo Apps software for your Android or iPod touch or iPhone that turns your smartphone into a remote control for Onkyo receiver.
Of course network connectivity is present as well. It is kind of standard nowadays. You can plug in wired Ethernet out of t he box, or get optional UWF-1 wireless LAN adaptor. I would say wired technology is still more reliable and provides better quality.
When the TX-NR5009 is connected to the internet, you can listen to Internet radio stations and streaming music services, for example Spotify, last.FM, Napster AUPEO! or vTuner. It is not clear if Pandora services also will be available with this receiver.
You can also stream content locally from your computer using DLNA 1.5 features or connect USB storage devices directly to your receiver. USB thumb drives also are supported.
Onkyo TX-NR5009 is 9.2 channel device. That means you can use benefits of Onkyo’s Zone 2/3 capability and play stereo audio from different sources in two other rooms.
Onkyo has implemented something called Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32 room-correction and equalization technology which is designed to provide best possible audio performance in very room regardless of its shape and acoustics.
Special Features of Onkyo TX-NR5009
- Eight 1080p capable HDMI inputs (V1.4a repeater) including 1 Front with 2 outputs
- THX Ultra2 Plus Certification
- Massive Toroidal transformer for High current drive
- 4 Independent Power Supply for clearner sound
- Finest 192kHz/32bit Burr-Brown DACs
- isf Certified
- 4K scaling via Qdeo by Marvell HDMI
- 1080p video upconversion by HVQ Vida
- Wireless ready with optional UWF-1 wireless USB LAN adapter
- WRAT technology and discrete amp construction for cleaner sound
- TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology
- PC Input
- Front and Rear Panel USB Inputs for Memory Devices and iPhone®/iPod® Models (Enables Display of Album Artwork)
- Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via U.Port
- 4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32w/ Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume
Buy Onkyo TX-NR5009
The Onkyo TX-NR5009 was planned for release in September 2011. It looked like terrible events of earthquake and tsunami in March have postponed the launch, and the TX-NR5009 and TX-NR3009 was expected to arrive just before Christmas 2011. But the good news is Onkyo TX-NR5009 is already available for order and shipping in September as planned!